CO Architects is an award winning architecture and design firm with an extensive portfolio of medium to large institutional projects, specializing in higher education with a focus on Science and Technology, medical and allied health programs, civic buildings, and a variety of healthcare projects at various scales. In addition to architecture and interior design, CO Architects provides facility evaluation, and comprehensive space programming and planning. Our practice is founded on a culture of collaboration, integrity and mutual respect; we are committed to continuous learning in support of professional and personal growth. We continue to seek team-oriented, skilled individuals to join our firm.
CO Architects is an equal opportunity employer and offers a full range of benefits to employees including: healthcare coverage; a 401K plan and profit sharing; PTO and holiday time; a medical flexible spending account; and participation in the firm’s performance-based bonus program. CO Architects also offers a firm-sponsored education program to encourage professional training and development.
CO Architects is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The CFO has overall responsibility for the Accounting, Finance, and HR functions, supervising a department of five individuals who perform the daily, weekly, and monthly tasks that relate to financial operations and employee benefits. In addition, the CFO works directly with the Managing Principal and other firm Principals on firm and project financial matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Finance & Accounting:
- Direct and oversee accounting operations, including invoicing, payroll, AP and AR, cash receipts, employee expense reporting, 1099 reporting, etc.
- Maintain cash flow, bank balances and banking relationships.
- Oversee insurance and risk management.
- Coordinate with outside CPA, which includes tax returns, reviewed financial statements, and audits.
- Direct other tax filings (Business Property, City of LA, Sales, etc.)
- Oversee monthly financial closing and reporting.
- Perform financial analysis, fee projections, and annual budgeting.
- Oversee employee education budgets.
- Assist Managing Principal with raises and year-end planning.
- Oversee shareholder and stock transactions.
- Work with outside consultant on research & development tax credits and Section 179 energy deductions.
- Work with outside investment manager on Grantor Trust investments.
- Oversee and direct employee benefits function.
- Coordinate offer letters, new employee orientation, exit interviewing and termination processing.
- Prepare responses to surveys by outside entities (AIA National, Design Intelligence, Deltek, etc.).
- Maintain and analyze compensation information.
- Keep abreast of legal and regulatory matters.
- Initiate HR-related training (harassment, diversity, etc.).
Project Financial and Contractual Management:
- Work with Project Principals/Managers on project setup, project budgets, and project financial reporting.
- Assist Project Principals/Managers with key metrics, billing rates, etc.
- Develop and improve tools and templates for better project financial management.
- Coordinate administration of Owner-Architect Agreements, Additional Services, and Consultant Contracts.
- Schedule periodic project financial reviews with Managing Principal.
Facilities and IT:
- Work with IT Principal to develop annual budgets for hardware, software, and expenses, and provide quarterly budget versus actual updates.
- Direct and oversee upgrades and enhancements to Deltek Vision software.
- Assist Managing Principal with matters concerning building (lease renewal, disputes, etc.).
- Work with Office Manager on archiving activities.
Marketing and Business Development:
- Work with Marketing Director to develop annual budgets and provide quarterly budget versus actual updates.
- Assist Marketing department with surveys (ENR, LA Business Journal, etc.) and provide financial and insurance data for proposals.
Firm Management and Other:
- Coordinate agenda for, participate in, and write notes for Management Committee meetings.
- Lead financial and HR session of internal education program.
- Work with outside attorney on revision of buy/sell agreement, Joint Venture entity, and other legal matters.
- Attend and present financials at annual Principals’ Retreats.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Ability to delegate, while maintaining the knowledge and skill to perform hands-on tasks, when necessary.
- Ability to keep company financial information in strictest confidence.
- Ability to keep sensitive employee medical, personal, and financial information in strictest confidence.
- Ability to use judgment about when to communicate sensitive information, and to whom.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work.
Education and Experience:
- College degree plus either an MBA or CPA
- Prior work experience in Architecture or Engineering fields preferred;
- At least ten (10) years full-time relevant work experience;
- Knowledge of Deltek Vision software required.
Commensurate with experience
All resumes should be sent to: email@example.com
Please include the job title in your email subject, as well as where you saw the position posted:
e.g. CFO/ CO website