CO Architects is currently seeking a Digital Fabrication Lab Manager to join our interdisciplinary, collaborative practice in Los Angeles. CO Architects has a strong tradition of craft in the buildings it designs. We value humanistic aspects of design, careful crafted of volume and space is enhanced by tactile materiality and tectonic detailing of those.We’ve built a robust digital experience team and are looking to closely integrate this capability with physical modeling, hand building, 3D printing and prototyping. The Digital Fabrication Lab will serve to reinforce the culture and craft of making and provide a platform to merge the digital realm with the physical world of design.
Candidate should exhibit the following skills and traits:
- Passion for craft, design, architecture and a culture of making
- Superior ingenuity and craftsmanship skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative and dynamic team environment
- Ability to drive quality, experiment with new emerging technologies and engage with, teach and mentor staff.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making and good communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute multiple projects
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, demonstrate initiative and multitask
- Engage with architectural staff and provide guidance to create models of various types: study models, finish models, facade studies, details, prototypes, etc.
- Assist in the production of various exhibitions, model stands, model transportation boxes and other needed objects for the practice.
- Manage work and production schedules, provide detailed information on duration, cost, and effort for producing models.
- Oversee daily operations and maintenance of shop equipment and manage inventory.
- Train and supervise staff in the safe and proper use of all equipment, creating appropriate education and demonstration programs as needed.
- Develop, review, and implement safety procedures for the Digital Fabrication Lab including OSHA standards for workspace, equipment, training and materials.
- Research & develop new prototype and manufacturing processes and provide technical software and hardware support.
- In collaboration with CO leadership make recommendations on continuous improvements to the lab and fabrication processes.
- Lead the long-term evolution of Digital Fabrication Lab.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in model making, prototyping or related field
- Degree or Certificate in industrial fabrication, design, architecture or related field (Bachelor preferred, but not required)
- Working knowledge of 3D modeling software such as Rhino, Revit, SketchUp, etc., file conversion to digital printing formats and potential fabrication modeling software.
- Experience using power tools and their safe operation, including but not limited to drill presses, table saws, electric hand tools, etc.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of the operation of wood-cutting machinery, laser cutters, 3D printers and CNC milling equipment
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
CO Architects is an equal opportunity employer and offers a full range of competitive benefits to employees including: healthcare coverage; a 401K plan and profit sharing; Paid Time Off (PTO); a medical flexible spending account; and participation in the firm’s performance-based bonus program. CO Architects also offers a firm-sponsored education program to encourage professional training and development.
All resumes and portfolios should be sent to: email@example.com
Please include the job title in your email subject, as well as where you saw the position posted:
e.g. Digital Fabrication Lab Manager / CO website