CO Architects is currently working with design-build partner Bernards on the modernization of the John H. Francis Polytechnic Senior High School Campus. The sprawling low-rise Poly High School campus was originally built in 1957, and the campus modernization includes a major site improvement effort and 175,000-sf of new core facilities. New educational facilities include state-of-the-art science instruction classrooms and new media facilities. A new gymnasium, administration building, cafeteria and library are massed and designed to reinforce the importance of the historic “polygon” they surround, which is at the heart of the site. As special-function buildings, they provide scale and hierarchy to an otherwise uniform built environment, imparting identity and legibility to the campus.